So flavorful, so filling and so easy to prepare. Heat up the oven while you cut up the vegetables, and your complete chicken dinner will be ready for the table in under an hour.
- 1 3 to 4-pound chicken, cut up, or 3 to 4 pounds chicken thighs, bone-in, skin-on
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary leaves (from about 2 sprigs)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 small dried red chilis, crumbled, or 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 to 3 pounds large Yukon Gold potatoes, cut in large pieces
- 5 carrots cut in 2" slices
- 12 ounces cherry or grape tomatoes
- 1 large yellow onion, quartered and thickly sliced
- 2 large cloves of garlic, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 4 to 6 sprigs fresh basil, plus 2 tablespoons finely shredded leaves for garnish
- Pull any lumps of fat off the chicken pieces and discard. In a bowl or a sealable plastic bag, combine the chicken pieces, 1/8 cup of the olive oil, 1/2 tablespoon of the rosemary, 1/2 teaspoons salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper and the chilis. Mix well and set aside to marinate, at least 30 minutes at room temperature or up to 8 hours in the refrigerator.
- Heat oven to 450° degrees. In a 9-by-13-inch baking dish or a large ovenproof skillet with a lid, combine remaining olive oil and rosemary with the potatoes, tomatoes, onion, garlic and a generous sprinkling of salt and pepper. Toss together and spread out evenly in the pan. Arrange chicken pieces on top, skin side up. Add the wine, pouring around the edges of the pan, and place the basil sprigs on top. Cover tightly with aluminum foil or a lid and bake 30 minutes.
- Remove chicken from the oven and turn the oven temperature to 475° degrees. (Use the convection feature if you have it.) Or heat the broiler and arrange oven rack about 8 inches from the heat. Return uncovered pan to oven and cook until chicken skin is browned, cooking liquid is reduced and vegetables are very soft, 10 to 15 minutes more.
- Remove and discard basil sprigs. Garnish with shredded basil and serve immediately.