This is comfort food that's quick and easy. The sauce can be ready in less time than it takes to cook the pasta!
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil – use less if adding meat
- 1 clove garlic
- 12 ounces spaghetti or fettucine
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup Romano cheese, grated
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Meat option: 1 generous 1/2 cup of lean bacon or pancetta
- Cook the pasta al dente
- Melt the butter in a pan, add bacon/pancetta (or olive oil) and garlic and cook until the garlic browns. Remove and discard the garlic.
- Drain the spaghetti and add to the pan.
- Remove the pan from the heat, pour in the eggs, add half the cheese and season with salt and pepper.
- Mix well so that the egg coats the pasta.
- Add the remaining cheese, mix again and serve